[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1736, Issue 3

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 14:03:01 PDT 2011

Jordan wrote:

>So: who benefits from the latest technological gizmos that get
>developed, procured, and retired in the prison world?

Wait, I do know what you mean I think. Stuff like below? Sure, that's part of the story, but it's not so big. Prisons still depend on old-fashioned lockup and beatdown methods more than gizmos.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/raytheons-pain-ray-to-be-installed-in-la-county-jail-charlie/

Misc. Gadgets Raytheon's 'pain ray' to be installed in LA County jail, Charlie Sheen contemplating move to Portland By Laura June posted Aug 24th 2010 12:09PM

Raytheon's been cranking on its 10,000 pound Silent Guardian for years now, and we always try to keep abreast of its... progress. The device, popularly known as a 'pain gun,' is a non-lethal weapon designed to deliver an overwhelming heat to say, members of a mob scene or rioters at a prison, causing an immediate flight response. The Air Force, which helped test the device, has assured the world of its safety, and recently the devices went on sale. So what's next for the Silent Guardian? Installation at the LA County jail in Castaic, where a large scale riot recently broke out, injuring more than 20 people and lasting well over an hour. Now, we're in no position to form an opinion about whether the pain ray is going to help situations like these or not, but we're pretty sure of one thing: it'll likely have little to no effect the next time Britney Spears is brought in.