[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 2 02:39:58 PDT 2011

At 09:22 PM 9/1/2011, Jim Farmelant wrote:
>So, Smith seems to have thought that exposure of institutions of higher
>learning to the forces of the market would make them better at serving
>the needs of their students, while apparently Newman would not have
>been so confident about that.

well, they are exposed in any case right? If a university depends on tuition to pay salaries it's still the market (as we see today, with the rise of the notion of student-as-consumer in early 90s). It's just felt much less directly by individual professors than if professors were to receive payment directly from students.

shag