[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:47:40 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

a post about me rather than about the world or left politics. Hence I
> didn't bother to read beyond the first line.

Which is a predictable way for Carrol to excuse himself for taking mutually-exclusive positions on alternate days. I guess life's a breeze when you feel no obligation to make sense!

> We are talking incidentally not about what struggles we should initiate; we
> are talking about the present visible attack on us. That is the usual way
> that working-class movements begin.

And I could sit down and, without a minute of preparation, write out a list of dozens, if not hundreds, of such current attacks. I won't bother asking why you imagine one to assume primacy over the others. Nor will I inquire what line you see between "what struggles we should initiate" and "the usual way that working-class movements begin;" at this point, you seem to advocate a consistently defensive posture. But if you wanted to explain yourself, you would have started long ago.

> Incidentally, unless serious mass working-class movements develop in both
> the U.S. and the EU the Palestinian people are doomed.

Horseshit. In Coxland, I'm aware, something like the FSLN, or the ANC, with their accompanying solidarity movements playing supporting roles, could never have achieved any sort of measured success without the kind of fantasyland upheaval you fetishize. I'll take reality, thank you very much.