[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 19:03:10 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Bartlett" <billbartlett at aapt.net.au>

I doubt anyone is asking you to selflessly exercise your personal discretion as Salk did, donating your rights to the commons.

However, there is no escaping the fact that such property rights manufacture scarcity which is both entirely artificial and contrary to the interests of the majority. A system which manufactures artifical human want is stupid and indefensible.

You defend your right to make a living from a vile system in the best way you can, yet that is not the issue. The question is rather whether the vile system is the best that we can hope for. ---------------

Could definitely not have said it better myself.

Thanks Bill.

Joanna