[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sat Sep 3 03:53:33 PDT 2011

On Sep 2, 2011, at 8:20 PM, michael perelman wrote:

> Exactly. In my book Steal this Idea, I emphasize how intellectual
> property hinders both science & technical change. Much of he cost
> goes to litigation rather than rewarding creativity.

Couldn't you enforce a distinction between "self-expression" and "tool building"?

Certainly the knowledge for Optical Character Recognition should/could be made freely available, but is it necessary to gut an author's means to a livelihood? Nobody's going to cure cancer as a result of reading _Infinite Jest_.