[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sat Sep 3 20:02:57 PDT 2011

Yes, and most people don't realize how important piracy is to their lives. When the US was developing, it did the sensible thing and pirated whatever it could get its hands on. Refused to subject itself to copyright, until sufficiently powerful content interests developed. (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/14/business/new-economy-intellectual-property-debate-takes-page-19th-century-america.html)

The tech helping power much of people's lives — Unix — benefitted from piracy too. There was a book of its sourcecode which spread through samizdat. And of course it's now popular because of a conspicuous lack of copyright. (Linux's license comes from an aggressively anti-copyright movement.) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions'_Commentary_on_UNIX_6th_Edition,_with_Source_Code)

Were the most fundamental tech advances (like computing) developed through copyright? Or through massive government funding and support?

All the best,

Tj