[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Sep 5 16:44:08 PDT 2011

> BTW, I have the impression without having time to look up data right
> now that the real per word rate for writing has dropped even more
> drastically than the real minimum wage.

Didn't the writers union tell people they shouldn't work for less than $1/word about a decade ago? I remember reading that somewhere and then watching as people offered me web writing gigs for .05 and .10 per word. Shit, even my highly exploitive ex-boss was willing to hire me to ghost write his crap for more than that - though less than $1/word he used to collect for his blather.

speaking of, has anyone seen this? I was getting tons of advertisements for it on facebook for awhile. When I was packing and going through all my old grad school papers, I got sidetracked reading up on debates over how to organize folks like freelancers - debates we used to have. was curious how arguments have played out against what really happened....

http://www.freelancersunion.org/about/index.html

in my idealistic grad schoolyears, I thought maybe dorothy sue cobble might be on to something. these days.... not so sure.

shag