[lbo-talk] 9/11 At Ten

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 12:08:26 PDT 2011

Dennis Redmond wrote:

> Fear not, Woj, the videogame culture is on the case. The trailer for
> Insomniac's latest game, a megaton strike on the heart of neoliberalism

It's always fun to pretend that cultural artifacts we like accord with our own political views, isn't it?

I remember when I used to think The Sopranos was a brilliant satire of post-Fordist North American capitalism, with Tony Soprano representing the "neoliberal subject as violent sociopath" archetype.

But then I had too many water cooler conversations with co-workers who loved watching for the sumptuous middle-class New Jersey homes and Italian cuisine gastronomic-pornography.

Cultural products try to appeal to a large market. That is to say, as many people as possible. And this broad mass of people likes to read whatever pleasing political or general worldview into such works.