[lbo-talk] Richard Clarke: The CIA knew about 9/11

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 05:57:35 PDT 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Julio Huato wrote:

>> Julio, did you read the thing you forwarded? "Coup" and "revolt" are
>> meant completely metaphorically.
>
> I did read it. Here's the passage prior to the one about Republican
> opposition:
>
> "But she [Susan Harman, the pacifist] did ask questions. Edley responded
> that Obama's team feared that leadership in the U.S. armed forces, the
> CIA and NSA might "revolt" if the new Obama administration prosecuted
> war crimes by U.S. authorities and lower-ranking personnel."

And what your justification for interpreting "revolt" non-metaphorically? I.e., using guns? Does he mention guns anywhere?

IMHO you need justification before you give an extremely common word a hugely surprisingly and inflammatory meaning. You have to show me why a flag that says that not the usual dead metaphor use but is meant in the amazing literal sense. The word by itself doesn't do it.

It's like me saying "I died when I heard it" and someone looking for an obit.

Michael