[lbo-talk] Crap architecture

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Sep 18 19:07:45 PDT 2011

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:23:03 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Yes. It seems to me perfectly possible for people to talk about
> aesthetics at the same time as they are aware of their own
> predilections. For example, I am drawn to Vivaldi because he is an
> irrepressibly happy composer

I do see what you mean here. This question of the emotional tenor of a composer's oeuvre is another head-scratcher, though. Just the other day I lent my reedy and unreliable bass to a reading of Mendelssohn's little motet Verleih uns Frieden. One of the other bassi commented that it was very Brahmsian -- which it is, in a way. I replied without even thinking, Yes -- Brahms in a good mood. Which made everybody laugh. I went home wondering why I said that, and how it could possibly have been a shared perception.

If one may venture on yet another value judgement, I think Mendelssohn is systematically underrated. Maybe because he's usually in a good mood?

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com