[lbo-talk] The Crisis of the Global Left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 19 09:15:41 PDT 2011

I've written over and over again for over 10 years on this list about the emptiness of any proposition in regard to "The Left." I've given many reasons for the emptiness of that concept during all but very brief periods capitalist history. As Charles Post ahs pointed out in a recent article in Historical Materialism, working-class movements are necessarily episodic. He outlines the reasons for this and announces that he will go into it in more detail in a forthcoming essay. It is really sloppy word usage as well as lack of historical understanding that leads to glib references to "The Left." I've read many such texts, and there have been no exctions.

Carrol