[lbo-talk] Who Are the Palestinians?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:45:47 PDT 2011

Good review - thanks for sending it out. I haven't yet had a chance to tackle any of the texts, but look forward to all of them.

That said, I'm not sure what to make of the general's comment below. I've had this conversation in Gaza a bunch of times, but still haven't managed to disentangle Arab-ness from Palestinian-ness. Nationalism in the romantic, 19th-century Europe, nation-state sense hasn't exactly caught fire in this part of the world. To the extent that they claim any nationality, plenty of Palestinians would call theirs Arab, rather than Palestinian. Which leaves Palestinian-ness as what? A political aspiration, but surely something more than that, as well? And of course plenty of Palestinians would claim something entirely non-nationalist - Islam - as the basis of both their collective identity and their political struggle. (I sometimes suspect Hamas only brings out the Palestinian flags when they know foreigners are coming. Islamic Jihad often doesn't have any to bring out.)

In any event, I'm not convinced that challenges to Palestinian nationality pose such a grave threat, or even demand a rebuttal ("The more we ignore their national identity, the more we delegitimize their struggle for independence"). Is it true that "As 'Arabs,' Palestinians could be absorbed by any other Arab nation"? Leaving aside the question of could vs. should (of course any or all of us *could* be), this seems to condition certain rights - like the right to not be ethnically cleansed, or live under apartheid - on existence within a nation-state framework. Why not use these challenges as opportunities to point out that there's nothing well-established, universal, or objectively good about nationalism? I mean, I'm not a nationalist, and I certainly don't condition my solidarity with anyone else on their embrace of what most of us would regard as a highly problematic system.

"‘I can’t believe Bibi [Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu], is