[lbo-talk] Urging PNB to Support Wall Street Protesters

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 24 17:43:28 PDT 2011

I just sent this to the Pacifica National Board, which is meeting this weekend in Washington D.C.

World Can't Wait has called for supporters of the Wall Street protests for Sunday at noon, to gather at Zucotti Park, corner of Broadway and Liberty Street.

Mitchel

Dear Pacifica,

Reports are that the NYC Police Department has now made over 60 arrests of non-violent protesters on Wall Street, using pepper spray to torture trapped people, and orange plastic netting to herd people peaceably assembled in what's called a "park" in downtown Manhattan (it's a cement plaza). Around 1,000 people at its height today joined the march on the way back from Union Square to the Wall Street area, I've been told (I wasn't there).

The NY Green Party is issuing condemnations of the NYPD, and there is a media blackout of what's been happening all week.

I urge the PNB to issue a statement in support of the protestors demanding an increase in taxes on the rich and an end to "corporate welfare" and cuts in social services, and a denunciation of police tactics. If it's good enough to support the occupation of Tahir Square in Egypt, then it should be good enough to support the right to assemble here in the U.S. of A.

Protests are being organized all over the country in support of the Wall Street occupation.

Thank you.

Mitchel Cohen Chair, WBAI Local Station Board

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. ~ Leonard Cohen