[lbo-talk] Capitalism is not a conspiracy

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 19:18:47 PDT 2011

Joanna wrote:

> As much as I like this, isn't it a bit of a tautology? Could it not be
> applied to any economic system?

Substitute Carrol's phrase "social formation" for "economic system", and sure, I'll agree that people in different social formations reproduce the formation.

But that doesn't invalidate the basic point: that it is our agency that can end capitalism. It's not a case of switching out the management at the top, but of putting an end to it ourselves.

Doug wrote:

> If you don't like capitalism, stop working?

Isn't that what a general strike is? After this past year of Wisconsin + the Mediterranean zone uprisings, I have to say the Wobbly legacy looks more relevant than ever.

> Or, you're guilty of perpetuating capitalism

No no no, let's leave "guilt" and other moralistic crap out of it. People have to get by in this world. It's not their fault that they are born into pre-existing social forms. People aren't even aware most of the time that they are recreating those forms on a daily basis.

> Or, you allow yourself to be exploited?

I don't like the phrase "allow", which implies it's a conscious decision by most people. The perpetuation of capitalist social relations isn't a voluntary act; people do it unconsciously.

What *will* be a voluntary act is when people decide to end it.