[lbo-talk] Occupying Wall Street

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 25 06:15:26 PDT 2011

SA has improved on my formulation. And that in a minor way shows how theory* develops -- from action.

Doug wrote a week ago: "I mean, the kids are all right, but this sort of thing isn't going to interrupt Lloyd Blankfein's train of thought for a nanosecond."

Of course -- and they all knew that, which is why they wisely denied having goals. In any case, with rare exceptions demos are not primarily intended to have an immediate effect on state policy, and do so even more rarely. (The November 1969 Moratorium was an apparent exception. Andie N suggested it may have saved the world.) Demos are primarily to attract the attention of others who agree with the protest (in this case that bad shit is happening) to in those in active opposition -- to expand the conversation. The Wall Street Occupation apparently has been rather more successful than most in achieving this central goal of all demonstrations.

Why did the Mayor turn loose the cops? THAT calls for analysis.

Carrol