[lbo-talk] Idea for new variation on creative commons license - does anyone know a lawyer who would be interested (for free)

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:24:34 PDT 2011

I have an idea for a new variety of creative commons license. However not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure if it is legit or not. Anyone know any lawyers passionate around enough about creative commons to look the idea over for love of of the CC idea, without charging me legal fees? I'm not asking them to draft the license (though that would be awesome!) just to advise whether the idea is sound.

The idea:I want to license a work I'm creating that incorporates copyrighted material for which I have non-exclusive normal licenses. I think I have a legitimate way to do this.

The idea: the license is for use in a particular work I am creating. While I can't transfer to anyone the right to yank bits out of my book it seems to me that I can certainly give away the right to copy the entire book unchanged. That is as long as it is the same book, anyone I give that right to can publish that book unchanged - including everyone if I choose

Further, I think I can even give rights to create derivative works up to a point. My rights are not limited to one version of the book. So I would say derivative works can be allowed so long as the derivative work is still a version of the same book, with all attributions preserved. I would say the following conditions would create a "safe haven" for someone creating a derivative works:

1) At least half the original text and half the original graphics are used in an arrangement that preserves the logic and flow of the book 2) The title of the derived work is the same as the original or a close and reasonable variation 3) All attributions are preserved 4) A reasonable person would agree that the derivative work is a version of the original.

I'm not saying that is the only possible "safe haven" for a derivative work, but might be one safe haven.

However I'm not a lawyer. I don't have the expertise to know if this is really legit. And I don't have the money at the moment to pay for legal advice. Is there someone out there who might look into this in the interest of creating a possible extension of creative commons?

Thanks

Gar W. Lipow 815 Dundee Road NW Olympia, WA 98502 USA 1-360-943-1529

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com