[lbo-talk] Idea for new variation on creative commons license - does anyone know a lawyer who would be interested (for free)

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Tue Sep 27 11:02:45 PDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:

> The idea: the license is for use in a particular work I am creating.
> While I can't transfer to anyone the right to yank bits out of my book
> it seems to me that I can certainly give away the right to copy the
> entire book unchanged. That is as long as it is the same book, anyone
> I give that right to can publish that book unchanged - including
> everyone if I choose
>
> Further, I think I can even give rights to create derivative works up
> to a point. My rights are not limited to one version of the book.
> So I would say derivative works can be allowed so long as the
> derivative work is still a version of the same book, with all
> attributions preserved. I would say the following conditions would
> create a "safe haven" for someone creating a derivative works:

Why wouldn't the GNU GPL work?

<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>

"You may convey a covered work in object code form under the terms of sections 4 and 5, provided that you also convey the machine-readable Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, in one of these ways: a) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by the Corresponding Source..."

That is, your original source has to accompany any modified version of it. If you have trouble with translating a piece of writing into a legal framework that addresses software primarily, why not encode it in LaTeX and have it compile to a binary PDF?

HTH, Charles