[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:10:42 PDT 2011

His view is Finkelstein's as well, isn't it? It seems to me that it should be answered, if possible, not patronized.

He's surely not a racist, and a Zionist only secundum quid, as he's explained:

"Until December 1942, the Zionist movement had no formal commitment to a Jewish state. Until the state was established in May 1948, opposition to a Jewish state was within the Zionist movement. Later, the concept 'Zionism' was very narrowly restricted for propaganda reasons. By the 1970s, when Israel chose expansion and dependence on the US over security and integration into the region, the concept 'Zionism' was narrowed to refer, in effect, to support for the policies of the government of Israel. Thus when the distinguished Israeli Labor Party statesman Abba Eban said that the task of dialogue with the gentile world is to show that 'anti-Zionists' are either anti- Semites or neurotic self-hating Jews (his examples were I.F. Stone and me), he was restricting 'Zionism' to support for the state of Israel and excluding any such criticism as logically impossible. The concept 'anti-Zionism' then becomes analogous to the disgraceful concept 'anti-Americanism,' drawn from the lexicon of totalitarianism and based on strictly totalitarian principles. By now the term has been so debased by propaganda that it is better abandoned, in my opinion."