[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 27 15:12:29 PDT 2011

At 02:10 PM 9/27/2011, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>His view is Finkelstein's as well, isn't it?

Here's something from Finkelstein:

http://www.israeli-occupation.org/2010-07-25/norman-finkelstein-god-helps-those-who-help-themselves/

[...]

What are your views on the BDS movement, for example?

First of all, people are getting a little too cult-like about BDS. You always know a movement is growing insular when it starts using these in-group abbreviations (‘BDS’). In my day it was ‘DOP’ ­ ‘Dictatorship of the Proletariat’. You have these little abbreviations to show that you’re part of the ‘in-group’ and you’re cool and you know what’s going on. So we should really steer away from that, because this is not about our egos, which are sometimes oversized. It’s about trying to achieve an important, humane goal.

[...]