[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 27 22:45:27 PDT 2011

At 10:36 PM 9/27/2011, Dennis Claxton wrote:

>He's basically saying that calling out someone as racist is not
>politics because, again in the part you clipped, "It doesn't lend
>itself to any particular action except more taxonomic argument about
>what counts as racism."

I meant to include this. Reed also says:

My point is that it's more effective politically to challenge the inequality and injustice directly and bypass the debate over whether it should be called "racism."

I do recognize that, partly because of the terms on which the civil rights movement's victories have been achieved, there is a strong practical imperative for stressing the racially invidious aspects of injustices: they have legal remedies. Race is one of the legal classes protected by anti-discrimination law; poverty, for instance, is not. But this makes identifying "racism" a technical requirement for pursuing certain grievances, not the basis of an overall political strategy for pursuit of racial justice, or, as I believe is a clearer left formulation, racial equality as an essential component of a program of social justice.