[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 27 22:36:28 PDT 2011

At 10:30 PM 9/27/2011, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

>I have to admit I am confused by this issue. For example, when I
>look at the way in which justice is dealt to brown vs white people,
>it seems like racism is at work. But I'm willing to learn if someone
>can explain to me why this isn't racism

Who said it wasn't?

Not Reed. In the passage you clipped he says "of course racism persists, in all the disparate, often unrelated kinds of social relations and "attitudes" that are characteristically lumped together under that rubric..."

He's basically saying that calling out someone as racist is not politics because, again in the part you clipped, "It doesn't lend itself to any particular action except more taxonomic argument about what counts as racism."

I'm confused by why this is so confusing.