[lbo-talk] Chomsky's losing it

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 11:36:17 PDT 2011

If ‘opposing the broad, consensual goals of an ethnically oppressed group’ is racism, then presumably only racists in Europe and America would have been against Zionism after the 2WW. Demanding we bow down before the moral claims of the victims has been the bread and butter of Zionism for decades.

On Adolph Reed’s points, I don’t know if he has it exactly right, but it is certainly a valuable investigation.

How could one not notice that the meaning of race has changed in the US and in the developed world?

Racial discrimination was official policy up until the 1960s, and ‘coded’ racism in policing and immigration law was the norm right up to the 1980s.

Sometime around the 1990s that began to change, and the official culture became more and more overtly anti-racist.

Of course it is an argument that that is all window dressing and the fundamental relations have not changed, but that seems to be dogmatic, and does not really explain why so much window-dressing.