[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 12:34:43 PDT 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Now, that seems like a specific target, a policy a neighborhood activist would like to change. And we all know this is an infuriating and central issue among the populace, and correspondingly highlighted by many local black activists.
>
> Isn't this, then, a counter-example? It's a policy that touches people's lives a lot; the mechanism lies entirely in the attitudes of state agents; and you can measure what you want to change.
>
> I'm sure Adolph has run into this example before. Does anyone know his answer?

I've forwarded this to Adolph for his own comments. But on the face of it: stop and frisk sucks. They should stop doing it. What does underscoring the racial disparity add to the point?

Also, in Bed-Stuy, a lot of the cops are black and Latino. If they're doing it too, then the Coxian "sheer hatred of blacks" doesn't easily apply.

Doug