[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:31:16 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who else? Let's hear some names. Chomsky claims to support Palestinians;
>> which ones?
>>

> When Chomsky was denied entry to Israel/West Bank last year, he was
> scheduled to give a speech at Bir Zeit. Why? Because he'd been invited to
> speak by Mustafa Barghouti, of whom he's an old friend and comrade.
> Barghouti is of course the head of the Union of Medical Relief Committees -
> one of the most significant signers of your famous BDS petition.

That wasn't the question, SA. I asked: Who are the Palestinians with whom Chomsky's in solidarity? Solidarity, after all, is a matter of supporting other people in their struggles, not of publicly denouncing them. If there's some groundswell of Palestinian who join Chomsky in opposing the historical aspirations, political leadership, and campaign strategies of all the others, let's hear about 'em.

Incidentally, I could think for a long time without coming up with a less impressive trick* than a Westerner speaking at a Palestinian university, or to a Palestinian organization. I can't count the speaking gigs I've had here (without particularly wanting any of 'em!) and, if I thought I had something to say, could probably line up new events at every university in Gaza by noon tomorrow. Occupied and besieged as they are, Palestinians in '67 are eager to engage with the outside world. The Arab hospitality thing packs a punch too. And nobody asks too many questions beforehand. So any academic resume-padders whose careers will benefit from lectures at foreign universities: Come to Palestine!

*Wait, I came up with a less impressive trick: Norman Finkelstein meeting with Hizbullah leadership. If he'd made it in and out of south Lebanon without getting dragged to an obligatory round of meetings with the local political figures, I'd call and beg him for his secret!