[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:14:04 PDT 2011

Joseph: "Oh, FFS. How, exactly, do you propose achieving this single secular state,"

[WS:] After the years of propaganda hammering the two state solution as the only alternative it is rather difficult to think outside this box, isn't it? But I suspect that this "solution" is actually assured no solution as it is not acceptable to either side. OTOH, a single state solution can offer something of value to both sides - it can address Israeli's security concerns (which are closely tied to control of real estate) and Palestinian concerns of political representation. It is just that nobody of political gravitas seriously pushed for it, yet. So I would imagine that a serious political campaign selling this solution to the Israelis as a permanent expansion of their real estate and to the Palestinian as a permanent expansion of their civil and political rights may get some considerable traction on both sides of the fence. Provided, of course that people start thinking outside the box in which they were put by propaganda and identity politics. In my view, this is a more realistic approach in a long run than the tit-for-tat politics, of which sanctions are a part, which as we can now clearly see lead nowhere.

In any case, I am not sympathetic to nationalism of any kind, so claims to national sovereignty (of which the two state solution is an example) do not persuade me. At best, they are misguided, at worst they are manipulations by local elites to solidify their power and divert popular discontent to out-groups. A central world government is my wet dream :).

Wojtek