[lbo-talk] Did Ron Paul really say this ?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 30 08:26:51 PDT 2011

There used to be a radio show in Bloomington entitled Problems & Solutions --4 hours every afternoon. Originally it was the sort of show where people call in to ask how to clean a blouse or to give away a cat. But it often developed quite different subjects. One day the host was talking about makign "This Land" our national anthem. I phoned in and said, "You know, don't you, that Guthrie was a communist." "Oh no, he said, Guthrie was a patriot." "Exactly," I said. Any how, our local Bircher was soon on the phone, giving all the details about all those Communist musicians in NYC. She had a long list, but the onlyname I remember now is Leonard Bernstein. The curious thing about the Red Hunt, even in less nutty forms, was that it depended on the target being a "secret" communist. So before they could bait an open communist they had to somehow show that he/she denied being a communist. The same woman was one of the witnesses before the legislative committee that had subpoenaed me in 1970 -- both funny & sort of pathetic. All she could talk about (the subject was post-Kent State events at ISU) was being able to smell the marijuana blocks away from campus.

Carol