[lbo-talk] yakking about the right

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Apr 3 07:27:31 PDT 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:21:27 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > What the research shows is simply that if you add up
> > the the votes, rated on a liberal/conservative scale, then
> > even a Blue Dog has a lower lifetime right-wing batting average
> > than the most liberal Republican. Mmm. So what does this
> > imply, exactly?
>
> Nothing, clearly. I give up.

Actually, what they did come with is a fact of some interest, I think, about the shaking-out of the respective demographics to which each party appeals, due mostly to the uniformitization of American culture and the diminution of regional differences.

'Polarization' seems a misleading word for this, though. It suggests that the parties are off on opposite trajectories, approaching the respective 'poles' of -- what? New Deal liberalism on the one hand, and Falangism on the other?

Whereas the reality is, I would say, that both parties are moving right, and drawing closer to each other if anything; certainly not farther apart. Those movements are quite consistent with the one-dimensional sorting-out and stratification and increasingly coherent 'branding' of the two gangs, noticed in this research.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org