[lbo-talk] Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:50:22 PDT 2012

> On 2012-04-06, at 2:12 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Apparently this list finds the RP endlessly fascinating. I cannot
> understand the fascination in the least myself...posters babble on about
> the RP here.

So Carrol has lost his fascination with the Republican Party as the "lesser evil" choice for the US working class! A couple of weeks ago, he told the Pen-L list that if he were to vote, "it would certainly be for the Republican candidate."

Is it perhaps Romney's widening lead over Santorum, the tea party candidate, which has soured him on the Grand Old Party?

Recalling a similar remark Carrol made a little over a year ago, I did a spotlight search on my Mac for "Carrol + Palin", and there it was: "Were voting mandatory in the U.S., I would vote for Palin before I would vote for ANY DP candidate."

You could interpret Carrol's disillusionment with the Republicans-as-lesser-evil as constituting progress of a sort, until you're jolted back to reality by Joseph Catron's remark earlier today that "I often get the impression that in Carrol Cox thought, politics resembles what the rest of us might consider magic."

True, but magic can be highly entertaining if you recognize it as such.