[lbo-talk] Marx's Rejection of a Moral Critique of Capital

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 11:26:12 PDT 2012

I have read Tamas, I have read Marx, and I do understand their description of capital production as a system that must operate by certain rules. But so do all systems. And yet, being conscious historical subjects, we can step outside of this system and make a judgment whether that system benefits humanity.

Creating jobs in a wage-slave economy is creating more slavery. Is it possible to condemn slavery without reference to some kind of ethics?

In the absence of the overthrow of the systems that define our lives, we still have a choice about the extent of our collaboration. This choice also is made with reference to some kind of ethics.

Of course, focusing on the immorality of the Koch brothers misses the larger point and is a waste of time. But I find it equally misleading to reject ethical concerns in understanding our struggle.

Joanna