[lbo-talk] Argentina nationalizes Repsol's oil firm, YPF

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:08:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:10, Dennis Redmond <metalslorg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-warns-argentina-on-intervening-in-ypf-2012-04-16
>
> If the govt buys Repsol's shares and pays for them -as it announced it
> intends to do- what's the big kerfuffle about?

Well, an Argentina which controls its own energy resources would be (1) bulletproof against Wall Street's financial scams as well as Euroliberalism's resource scams, and (2) a positive example for other countries, especially the post-revolutionary North African nations.

The statements by the Euro-elites threatening Argentina with "pariah status" are so demented, I laughed out loud. A pariah to who? The BRICs and the nations of the semiperiphery who happen to make up 85% of the planet and are the most solvent economies around? You can't even call it neocolonial arrogance, it's just outright colonial arrogance.

-- DRR