[lbo-talk] Philadelphia School District announces its dissolution

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Apr 26 10:38:30 PDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 1:16 PM, // ravi wrote:

> Seriously though, I know lots of people who call themselves
> anarchists, I have read various theories of anarchism (including
> Chomsky), and never heard one of them suggest that public education
> needs to be defunded because it is a tool of state indoctrination.
>
> Don’t get me wrong. I do believe that it *is* a tool of state
> indoctrination. But it beats not having any schooling or home
> schooling, the only alternatives. IMHO.

As far as home schooling goes--it all depends on the home!

I would think that the anarchist (cf. Paul Goodman's *Compulsory Miseducation*) alternative to public education would be something like adding up all the public money spent on public education at all levels and distributing it equally to all students (or their parents in the case of children below the high-school level) in the form of vouchers that can be cashed only by autonomous teacher-run cooperatives.

Shane Mage This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,

kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos