[lbo-talk] Royal fuck up

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:37:59 PDT 2012

> Way off topic here, but the Outlook IMAP client has worked fine for me
> over the last 12 years ... and works just fine with Gmail.
>
> /jordan

It's not off topic. After meticulously going over each step, while setting up POP, I later realized why IMAP didn't work. There is a box that says something like my server requires password authentication something or other. The first time I followed the POP script it didn't work and I got an error message that said, authentication on port 995 not supported. So I followed the script again and deep into it there was box checked that was not in the script, so I unchecked. After that POP worked.

In the POP script they did not tell me to check that box. I had checked it in IMAP set-up, so I unchecked it.in POP routine. If I carefully went back over IMAP script it probably didn't say anything about checking that box on that screen. I had assumed pwd authentication was standard---guess what?

I forget how this authentication works but it is very tricky as ingenious. There are two parts, the encoding, and the key. One side issues the encoding and the other side tries its key. If the key works your in. If it doesn't you are denied access.

I am not going to change it back to IMAP. I'll clean out Gmail every now then if I forgot to check the box that says delete from server...

What crap.

CG (Still grumpy dog)