[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Aug 17 17:04:55 PDT 2012

On Aug 17, 2012, at 4:25 PM, // ravi wrote:
> Everyone else, I think, would just find it puzzling, if not outright
> bizarre, to follow the reasoning of how the UK could
> “logically” (i.e., technically) protect Pinochet while assisting the
> transfer of Assange to Gitmo.

There was nothing "technical," let alone legal, about the release of Pinochet. Blair's Home Secretary, Jack Straw, simply declared that Pinochet was "too ill" to stand trial and sent him home--even though he considered himself perfectly well enough to serve as a member of the Chilean Senate (a place he received as compensation for allowing the Christian Democrats to continue his dictatorship "constitutionally").

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64