[lbo-talk] Speaking of grad school

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 19:45:37 PDT 2012

When I was in grad school, specializing in the Renaissance, I decided to study Latin and Greek (to avoid the alternative of deconstruction). I figured I'd take the "scholarly" route.

My advisor asked me why I was doing this, since I had already fulfilled my language requirements with French/Italian.

I was stunned. I was expecting congratulations for taking things seriously and being willing to do my homework. I mean focusing on the Renaissance without knowing at least Latin is a joke.

Joanna