[lbo-talk] Speaking of grad school

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 21:51:06 PDT 2012

Believe it or not, when I was in grad school at a major midwest public ivy in philosophy in the 1980s, if memory serves, the department allowed the required course in mathematical logic count for the nominal language requirement for a PhD because after all logic is a formal language. In case you missed it, the logic requirement was a requirement anyway. Soooo, you could write a thesis on, say, Kant or, if you were especially professionally suicidal, Marx, without knowing German. You could even get tenure in a period of philosophy without knowing the languages in which the originals were written, working only from translations. Nor was the philosophy dept the only one with this sort of attitude towards scholarship at the time. This was not a formal policy, but a senior Prof in political science tried to persuade me to write up my theory of Cold War military policy Into a dissertation, although I don't know Russian. I told him thought this was a problem, but he said it didn't matter, all the important Soviet literature and documents had been translated. I don't know whether he knew Russian, although nuclear strategy wasn't his speciality, and how he knew this without having done the research, which would have been required to do the thesis, I do not know. Of course this was in the 80s, so things might have changed.

Sent from my iPad