[lbo-talk] Cloud computing sucks

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 07:58:12 PDT 2012

Ravi: " I think “cloud” is marketing bullshit for “Internet”

[WS:] I am glad that you share my sentiments. What I do not understand is that the speed of all components of PCs and laptops has dramatically increased over the last few years - the speed of a modest "Ivy Bridge" found on average modern laptops is far superior to those found in high end machines two three years ago. Ditto for storage media. Fast SSD drives go for about 100 bucks and you can buy a 32GB USB 3.0 pen drives for under thirty dollars. Why would one want to give all that computing and data transfer power for "cloud" is beyond me. Not only does it depend on the speed on internet connection, which varies greatly due to high traffic, but a fast internet connection costs more per month than fast and reliable storage.

-- Wojtek