[lbo-talk] Cloud computing sucks

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:26:16 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ravi: " I think “cloud” is marketing bullshit for “Internet”
>
> [WS:] I am glad that you share my sentiments. What I do not
> understand is that the speed of all components of PCs and laptops has
> dramatically increased over the last few years - the speed of a modest
> "Ivy Bridge" found on average modern laptops is far superior to those
> found in high end machines two three years ago. Ditto for storage
> media. Fast SSD drives go for about 100 bucks and you can buy a 32GB
> USB 3.0 pen drives for under thirty dollars. Why would one want to
> give all that computing and data transfer power for "cloud" is beyond
> me. Not only does it depend on the speed on internet connection,
> which varies greatly due to high traffic, but a fast internet
> connection costs more per month than fast and reliable storage.

For me it has to do with syncing between devices that don't have a port for a thumb drive, e.g. iPad. Most of the files I'm swapping are documents so 5 GB goes a long way. Not that you care, but that's what I use it for. There are several apps for the iPad (especially Goodreader) that allow me to sync pdfs and other files via my Google folders, dropbox and other cloud servers. I find it handy, but obviously it is a personal preference.