[lbo-talk] Cloud computing sucks

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:59:29 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard other people complaining about it, in addition to the usual
> rant about privacy concerns, especially about Google.

Roy Schestowitz (techrights.org) calls it "fog computing". The main issue is that the user loses any control over the apps that he is running. In other words, we´re back to the world of the central "computing center" and the "dumb terminals". Except that the terminals are not so dumb anymore and replaced by a web browser.

In other words... if I want I can continue using the 1998-developed Paint Shop Pro v5 on my home machine, which was developed for Pentium 1 based Windows 98 systems, but flies in today´s hardware (and serves my bitmap-editing needs just fine).

But you can´t keep running an old version of GMail. See the complaints about Google´s latest screw-up with the GMail user interface:

http://news.techeye.net/software/google-to-angry-gmail-users-we-know-better

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/4/24/googles-cloud-throws-a-thunderbolt-to-gmail-users.aspx

In other words, with the cloud and "Software as a Service" (SAAS) you lose control of your software. That´s why I call Cloud Computing "the fine art of separating people from their software".

Using ¨cloud" services just for storage -and also "remote backup" is another thing. It´s about the only desirable use for the cloud IMHO. But then there´s the issue of limited upstream speeds on current´s (specially DSL and cable modem) broadband links.

Just my $0.02 of course FC -- During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell