[lbo-talk] Cloud computing sucks

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:46:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I tried to synchronize about
> 1GB of data using Google drive - it took about the whole day to upload
> the files from my laptop and the files are still not synchronized with
> other machines.

Gee, you likely found out that residential broadband connections are ASSYMETRICAL. Your upload speed is a fraction of the download speed. If you contract a 10 Mbit broadband connection, your upstream speed is likely 512K (0.5 Mbit).

That´s why is investing into its FTTH (Fiber to the home) experiments.

Cloud computing is indeed pretty slow until your UPSTREAM (speed from your computer to the rest of the net) is 10Mbit or higher (the sweet spot being 100Mbit, which is the same as a Fast Ethernet LAN).

Or, like Vint Cerf admitted once to me five years ago "Residential broadband users are crippled".

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1016487/home-broadband-customers-are-crippled-vint-cerf-reckons

FC -- During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario - George Orwell