[lbo-talk] On the other hand...Assange...

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:35:51 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au>wrote:

> Also Sweden (like the United Kingdom) is bound by EU and ECHR law not to
> extradite in circumstances where there is any risk of the death penalty or
> torture. There would be no extradition to the United States in such
> circumstances.
>

> full:
> http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition
> Wobbly Times
> http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/

This has been widely circulated and like many lists claiming to refute myths is full of misinformation itself. For example Sweden has a recent history of rendering people to countries where they were later tortured. If Sweden was asked to extradite ASsange they would ask for a pledge from the U.S. that they not execute him or violate his human rights. The former pledge might or might not bed kept. The latter definitely would not be, because the U.S. government claims that solitary confinement, forced nudity, sleep deprivation and constant exposure to uncomfortablly low temperatures are neither torture nor abuse. If I have time I will write a full rebuttal tot his, but I'm kind of hoping Glen Greenwald will so I don't have to.