[lbo-talk] A PR disaster: Five views on Pussy Riot's war

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 23 10:17:44 PDT 2012

Every one is searching for some abstract principle that would decide this question: it doesn't exist. I defend the right of leftists in the u.s. to say anything they want to say anyplace. I defend the right of a regime opposed to the U.S. to suppress any speech that threatens that independence. The argument has to be political rather than moral or metaphysical. When free speech threatens capitalism we defend it. When free speech threatens anti-capitalist activity, we don't necessarily defend it. (I state this crudely and as stated it is incorrect but it points in the right direction.) Ravi is correct that as an abstract principle free speech is mostly a libertarian myth.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:02 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] A PR disaster: Five views on Pussy Riot's war

On Aug 23, 2012, at 12:22 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Well, they do have "hate crimes" in Europe, no? It's a hate crime to
offend/attack a Jewish synagogue, but not a Christian church?

I don't like hate crimes laws. If somebody wants to stand on a street corner and denounce Jews and/or Judaism, I'd hope that someone kicks the shit out of him or her, but it shouldn't be a crime. Damaging a synagogue is a crime, and it doesn't need a special designation as a hate crime.