[lbo-talk] why public transportation projects in US are so expensive

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:40:33 PDT 2012

[WS:] I had a similar experience. When you mention corruption and kicbacks in public - private arrangements (e.g. charter schools) people tend to accept it, but that does not mean they would question the principle of private business ownership. Instead they revert to moral argument, like need to honesty, morals and what not.

One of the biggest problem, in my opinion, is that most people fail to distinguish between government as public administration and government as political parties. The latter are invariable corrupt, the former is not, but people typically conflate the two and claim that "government" is corrupt and inefficient. When they make a distinction, however, their opinions tend to change.

Case in point. After the big quake in Santa Cruz in 1989 the local government started a shuttle service between Santa Cruz and San Jose, due to extensive road damage. Many people used it and liked it. However, the shuttle replaced a very crappy private bus service (Peerless) and owners threatened to sue. Public hearings were held, and the public support was overwhelmingly with the government-run shuttle service. In the end, the shuttle won.

The amount of brainwashing with private business mentality in the US is truly mind boggling, however. I am not sure how to effectively counter it.

-- Wojtek