[lbo-talk] Oliver Stone's first episode

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 01:19:04 PST 2012

The Soviets defeated the Nazis with very substantial Western aid. The importance of the Western Allied contribution to the war was acknowledged in a negative way by Stalin, who spend three years hammering on about a Second Front. The Battle of Britain and the US and British Battle of the Atlantic not only absorbed a lot of Nazi energy and resources but also kept Britain as a forward post for the ultimate invasion of the continent. Meanwhile the British in North Africa performed a vital role in keeping Rommel's armies tied down and Mideast oil out of Nazis hands, while the American's tied up large numbers if Nazis in Italy. Nor can the importance of Normandy and the ultimate opening of the Second Friend be dismissed. The forces that fought the Battle of the Bulge were unavailable for stopping the Soviet advance from the East. The one Western contribution that seems to have played little or no role was strategic bombing. So if the Soviets won the war, they did not and could not have done it alone.

Sent from my iPad