[lbo-talk] December 7

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:42:16 PST 2012

On 2012-12-07, at 3:45 PM, c b wrote:

> By the way , yesterday , a day that will live in infamy, the Michigan
> Republicans made Michigan a Work-for-less state. I think we are about
> to have a big class warfare battle here.

Who'd have thought Michigan, birthplace of industrial unionism, would have a Republican governor and legislature daring to engage in union-busting of this kind. Is it the same picture as elsewhere - mostly white small towns, suburbs, and rural areas against organized labour and people of colour in the cities, ie. Detroit? Seems last month's failure of the referendum to entrench collective bargaining rights has emboldened the state government. Have the big automakers been supporting the legislation, quietly or otherwise? And are the unions planning actions apart from demonstrations?