[lbo-talk] US Census Bureau: Exodus to Suburbs Continues through 2012

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 05:58:50 PST 2012

I doubt this is a factor. Gentrification may move the poor to suburban areas within core cities, e.g. Baltimore to Towson, or DC to Langley Park/Silver Spring/Burtnonsville, but the latter are still considered a part of the core urban areas. The flight to suburbia means move to exurbia - or remote often gated communities for old white farts. I think it is mainly a statistical effect due to demographics - baby boomers retiring and moving to what in effect is old fart communities. The key distinction imho is whether the area is served by public transit - if it is, it's a part of the core urban area that is a new destination of the urban poor, if it is not - it is the exurban community for old white farts.

-- Wojtek