[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:55:48 PST 2012

LT: " I hope I didn't give the impression that I am opposed to using psychoanalysis in this context. As I hoped would be clear, I was using some Lacanian ideas to offer an alternative to what appeared to be a glib psychologism on the part of the FBI's criminal psychologists."

[WS:] Fair enough. I actually appreciated your comments stressing the importance of cultural narratives in manifestations of insane/criminal behavior. I can go as far as saying that "abnormal" behavior is often a misnomer - what we witness instead is "hyper-normal" behavior, that is, acting out popular cultural tropes and narratives that most "normal" people share but treat them with a grain of salt, as "symbolic expressions." It seems that Lanza's behavior might possibly fit this category - he actually acted out a behavior that his gun-loving mom and her community collectively fantasized about.

-- Wojtek