[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 23:53:19 PST 2012

Whether it's rational to attempt to explain particular acts is an important question, if you are a philosopher. Why do you ask? My guess is that the answer depends a lot on that, and whether its rational depends on the success or likelihood of success of particular explanatory patterns. Sure grounds exist to expect that particular acts can be interpreted, which not self-evidently the same thing as explained, but grounds may also exist to think that particular acts can be explained. They may not be explicable as the result of rational calculation, but after Nietzsche and Freud, that's old news. A lot may depend on what you mean by "explained" -- does this require general laws of human behavior that we don't have? But before I go on (I wrote a whole dissertation and several published papers on these questions), what are you really asking and why?

Sent from my iPad