[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

William Quimby quimbywm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:12:15 PST 2012

I'm sticking this into the conversation even though it may not be the right moment to introduce a "cultural" issue.

If a fear is established on the part of every american that he/she is in danger of death by rampage at any time, then the only recourse is for every american to be armed. (See the recent arguments that the response to school violence is that teachers and college students be armed). This would suit the gun lobby immensely, of course, until such time as there is no one who is not armed (at which time, of course, the gun lobby could introduce newer and better Glocks, S+W's, etc. - or if nothing else colored holsters, or add a GPS to the barrel? Sound vaguely familiar?)

On the other hand, if THERE WERE NO GUNS no one would have to worry - no one would have to buy one ($300-$600?), and no one would die from "collective idiocy".

Oh, I'm sure that there is something wrong with the logic - excluded middle, perhaps?

- Bill