[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:48:14 PST 2012

shag: i don't know if carrol intended it this way, but such restrictions would likely have the same effect as Wars on (Some) Drugs. Its implementation would be deeply racist, used as an excuse to arrest and jail people - particularly in the hands of Republicans who see it as an effective way to get people thrown in prison and permanently revoke their right to vote.

I had no particular content in mind, but shag is certainly correct here.

WS seems to assume that if one passes a law (e.g., ban on guns in public spaces) that the result is automatic, without any attempt at enforcement. Enforcement of _any_ gun ban means that those who violate the ban have to be discovered and their weapons confiscated. My post raised the question of how guns now in circulation were to be removed from circulation.

I can imagine a ban being useful even if not enforced, but that is another question.

Carrol