[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:06:43 PST 2012

On 2012-12-19, at 6:48 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Enforcement of _any_ gun ban means that those who violate the ban have to be
> discovered and their weapons confiscated. My post raised the question of how
> guns now in circulation were to be removed from circulation.

It would take a revolution. :)

"Gun ownership in the People's Republic of China is heavily regulated by law. Generally, private citizens are not allowed to possess guns.

"Guns can be used by law enforcement, the military and paramilitary, and security personnel protecting property of state importance (including the arms industry, financial institutions, storage of resources, and scientific research institutions).

"Civilian ownership of guns is largely restricted to authorised, non-individual entities, including sporting organisations, authorised hunting reserves and wild life protection, management and research organizations. The chief exception to the general ban for individual gun ownership is for the purpose of hunting.

"Illegal possession or sale of firearms may result in a minimum punishment of 3 years in prison, with the maximum being the death penalty.

"Gun ownership in Hong Kong and Macau is tightly controlled and possession is mainly in the hands of law enforcement, military, and private security firms (providing protection for jewelers and banks). Still, possessing, manufacturing and import/exporting airsoft guns with a muzzle energy not above two joules of kinetic energy is legal to citizens in China's SARs. Under the Section 13 of Cap 238 Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance of the Hong Kong law, unrestricted firearms and ammunition requires a license, and those found in possession without a license could be fined HKD$100,000 and imprisonment for up to 14 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics#China

> I can imagine a ban being useful even if not enforced, but that is another
> question.

In the context of US politics, just closing the loopholes which allow for the purchase of the high-capacity rapid-firing assault weapons used in the killing sprees would be a major step forward.